Friday, May 2, 2008

Screwtape 28-31

I chose to write on letter 28 because of the new way of thinking that I gained from it. I always thought that the devil would want humans to die because when I think of the devil or hell I think of death. But after reading letter 28 I was enlightened to think that the devil would prefer humans to be alive in order to keep presenting temptations to them to keep bringing their souls to the evil side.
Screwtape is upset because Wormwood thinks that it is a good thing that the war is coming to the area that the patient lives in. The war coming is not a good thing because the patient is then at risk for dieing at a younger age. If the patient dies then the little progress that has been accomplished is lost. The patient at this stage is more towards the enemies side than the devils side and therefore it is a bad time for the patient to die.
I thought this was interesting because Screwtape would prefer the patient to live to a very old life because then there would be more opportunity to completely transfer the patients soul to the devils side. The whole reason for temptation is so when the human dies they will go to hell instead of heaven.

No comments: