Monday, April 7, 2008

Screwtape 16-18

I chose to write about letter number 16 because it was the one where I connected to the best. I thought that when Screwtape was talking about being "cured of churchgoing" he would tell Wormwood to make his patient to stop attending church completely. Then when I saw that Screwtape would like to have the patient become a test-taster for churches I was confused at first. Then I realized why it would be beneficial for him to do this. If the patient is not listening to just one churches' view then he will start pointing out the differences between the different churches that he is attending. This is beneficial because then instead of listening to the word of God the patient will only be listening in order to criticize what each church is doing. While doing this it will make the patient sin more.
When Screwtape was talking about the two churches that were right in the neighborhood of the patient I was wondering why it would be that anyone would attend either of these churches. I would not when knowing the way each of them are ran. But it seemed like the patient has attended them at least once.

1 comment:

.agrigorian. said...

I think you explained this chapeter well because I was a little confused as well too to begin with. And I think that the patient has been basically brainwashed throughout the letters that he attended the churches through what he knew what to do best.