Friday, February 29, 2008

Screwtape 4-6 Entry

I was still in the same position as I was last week when I was reading the letters. I had to go back and reread certain parts and the complete letters. After realizing what is going on in the letters I chose to write on letter number 4. Prayer was one of the main topics in this letter and I was curious about it. I thought why is this a main point of discussion, should attending church be the main issue and not prayer? It is felt by Screwtape that if the 'patient' prays more often and freely, then there will be no actual concept of prayer. This goal is needing to be accomplished because then the patient will not go to Heaven, which is the most important goal of Screwtape. Screwtape knows that if thoughtful prayer is accomplished then He, God will be able to win in the battle. Therefore, free prayer, meaning prayer just because it is thought you have to is the way to have the patient go. That way He will not be able to have an upper hand in the battle.

No comments: